After having lunch in the parking lot where we had parked, we made our way to the Todtnauer Wasserfall (waterfall). We saw the city of Todtnau on the way and decided we would go back there after seeing the waterfall to check out the beautiful church that we saw from the road. When we found the waterfall, we had to walk a little ways from where we parked to get to the waterfall. There were some fun wooden carvings along the way.
We then found the waterfall!! It was absolutely gorgeous and the sun had decided to come out, so it was even more beautiful!
There were these fun wooden lounge chairs by one part of the waterfall and I decided it would be an excellent place to read but, unfortunately, I didn't have a book with me. :(
Brian took a picture of a girl from South Africa/South Carolina, so she was kind enough to take one for us.
You could walk up a path that zigzagged up the waterfall and crossed over bridges several times to the top of the waterfall (which was much farther up than I thought!). There were some great rainbows by the falls because of the shining sun.
Brian found one of the infamous German slugs and had to get a picture of it. This is what we get here when it rains instead of worms on the sidewalks...yuck!
We then headed back to the city of Todtnau to see some of the strange and beautiful things they had in the city. One of these was this random stone sword pointing out of the top of a big rock.
They had a pretty cool looking cemetery also.
They also had a beautiful church! This was definitely the newest church we have seen here in Germany, but it was still beautiful! I loved the green color of it.
We then did something that I'm still not quite sure that I believe that I actually did. We had seen this strange track coming down the side of the mountain outside of the town with a chair lift going up next to this track. We wondered what it was, so we found it and discovered it was a track, similar to a roller coaster, that people were going down on little carts either individually or in pairs. Brian really wanted to ride on it, but I wasn't so sure. I hate roller coasters and this was very much like a roller coaster except that I would have control of the speed. For some reason (probably because I love him!), I told Brian that I would ride on the thing with him.
The first step was taking the chair lift to the top of the track. I had never been on a chair lift before and was not a huge fan of it! I was definitely not very excited to be riding this thing in the hard wind and hung on for dear life all the way up. Do not be deceived by the slight smile in this picture...I was not happy!
We did get a nice view of the Todtnau church from the top of the track though!
We then took the ride down the track. We decided to go on separate carts because I wasn't so sure that I would like the speed that Brian would take down the track. Brian went first (which was good!) and I followed him. I never saw him though because I was going so slow down the track. There were people behind me and they had to keep stopping because they wanted to go faster than I was! Since we both rode, Brian only got a few pictures of me at the end.
I think this was Brian's favorite part of the trip because it was what he told everyone at church about the next day! We found out that these alpine coasters are pretty popular in the Alps, but this was the first one we had ever seen.
We then kept driving toward Freiburg. We ended up stopping at a little parking area on the side of the road because there was a beautiful view of the sunset and there were quite a few people flying kites in a nearby field. We didn't stay long though because it was super windy and very cold!
We then made our way to Freiburg and found the hotel that we had found online. Once we figured out where to talk to someone there, we found that they still had an open room and a place a dinner. Dinner was a bit awkward though because we ended up sitting next to Germans and we're never quite sure how to handle that. The hotel was great for the night since we were both quite ready for bed after so much fresh air!
No comments:
Post a Comment