Sorry about the delay in the midst of these posts. I had run out of space to upload pictures, so I had to get rid of a few so that I could add in some new ones. There will be a new post soon about ways that you can see more of our pictures since I'm running out of space here and too cheap to pay for more space!
Thursday started slow for us since we had gotten back so late from Munich. It was nice to sleep in and take things easy in the morning. In the afternoon, we started our day to Switzerland. Our first stop wasn't actually in Switzerland, but it was very close and on the way to our other destinations.
Our first stop was the Hohentwiel Fortress. I had not been here before, so it was fun to do something new. We had heard about this from friends of ours here, so I thought we should check it out. It is an old fortress that is now in ruins. I think it was from the 1500s, but I don't know for sure. The signs were all in German, so we didn't learn a whole lot about the place, but we had a great time exploring!
When we bought the tickets, the lady told us that we had to hurry and something about 3:00. Since my German isn't always the greatest, I thought she meant that the fortress closed at 3:00 and it was already 2:30. We went very fast up the very steep road to the fortress and tried to see as much as possible in that half hour. We started to wonder about my understanding of the German when there were still people in the fortress after 3:00 and we weren't being kicked out. I managed to ask someone (in German!) how long the fortress was open, and found out that it was actually open until 4:00, so we didn't need to rush.
Here's a bunch of pictures of the fortress. I can't wait to go back and explore it some more!
After spending our time at the Hohentwiel Fortress (and getting tons of pictures!), we headed back to the car to head to the Rhine Falls. We walked around the falls and took pictures. Since I already blogged about the Rhine Falls when Brian and I went there, I decided I didn't need to add in more pictures of it.
After leaving Rhine Falls, we headed to the small town of Stein am Rhein. This is a very cute Swiss town that lies right on the Rhine River. I had never been here before either. We didn't get there until after all the stores in town were closed, but we still got to get some Swiss chocolate at a grocery store and got to see the outsides of the buildings which were quite cute. Justin and Shawnna will be staying with a friend's parents in this town later in their trip, so they will get to see more of the town during the day.
On our way back to the car, we got to see a beautiful sunset over the river. I love sunsets!
After a full afternoon in Switzerland, we headed back home for dinner with Brian.











No comments:
Post a Comment