Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ski Rack

This week Brian and I worked on a project together.  A few weeks ago, we got a car rack from a friend for our car which came with two bike holders and two ski holders.  The ski rack needed a bit of help since it was missing a piece.  Our friend had used sponges to make it work, but Brian wanted something a bit more permanent as a solution.  We decided that some sort of foam was the best option to fix it, so we went to OBI and found a good piece to fit in it.  When Brian got it home and cut it to size, he decided that it would be best to have something to cover the piece of foam to make it last longer.  That is where I came in.

I had some fabric leftover from the curtains that I'm making, so I made a sleeve for the foam to fit into.  Brian wanted it to be really tight, we cut the fabric so that it would fit quite snugly.  The only problem was getting the foam into the sleeve once I had sewn it.  It's not very easy to push a piece of foam into a thick sleeve of fabric and expect it to hold its shape.  I got it partway in and then Brian tried when he got home.  Instead of trying to make the foam fit how we had wanted it to, he just decided that he would shove it in there and then cut smaller pieces of foam to fill up the rest.  Once he had it filled up with foam, I sewed together the end and it was ready for installation.

Brian zip-tied the thing onto the ski rack and it fit perfectly!  Now we have two functioning parts to the ski rack and don't have to put the wet skis into our car when we go cross-country skiing! 




No comments: