Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Home Sweet Michigan

The holiday parties have ended momentarily, so I finally have a bit of time to update here.  For those of you who haven't seen us in Michigan yet, we made it to Grand Rapids safely.  Our car rides and planes all worked out safely and easily, so we got into Michigan on Wednesday evening.  We hit up a few stores on the east side of the state before heading over to the west side. 

Thursday morning we had breakfast with Brian's friends while they were all still in town at Russ'.  The refills on the hot chocolate were amazing!  We spent the rest of the day running last-minute errands for a few Christmas gifts that we weren't able to buy online before coming.

Friday was a pretty quiet day because we didn't really have anything planned and many stores were closed because it was Christmas Eve.  We did make our first trip to Meijer and kind of just stood in awe at the great variety of food in the grocery store. 

Saturday we went to church in the morning, relaxed in the afternoon, and had the Pfruender family Christmas party in the evening.  We had fondue for dinner, opened presents, and then played a few games.  We also got to meet our nephew-dog, Widget!  He is much calmer than Pixel ever has been and did great while we were opening all our presents.  Brian and I got some much needed bike stuff along with lots of other stuff.

Sunday we went to church in the morning and had lunch with Brian's parents (chicken lasagna!) before heading to Holland for the Branderhorst Christmas party.  It was great to see all my cousins again since we had missed all the previous get-togethers this year.  We also got to meet my cousins son, Owen, for the first time. 

Monday we got new driver's licenses in the morning, I had lunch with a previous boss and co-worker, and we went to see Voyage of the Dawn Treader with my family.  In the evening, we had the Ponstein family Christmas party.  It was wonderful to see all our nieces and nephews again and see how they've grown!  It was lots of fun to see the excitement they had while opening their presents.

Today Brian helped my dad blow in insulation into the attic.  Brian claims that the house is so much warmer now, but I'm not quite feeling it yet.  :)  My mom and I went to the funeral of a friend's grandpa and then went to check out the new Kentwood Public Library.  I got some audiobooks and discovered how I can get them online so that I can continue to use the library when we go back to Germany.

We are here through the 8th of January, so if we don't already have plans to see you and you would like to see us, shoot us an e-mail and we'll see what we can do!  We are enjoying ourselves here and the time we get to spend with our families.

No comments: