The weeks leading up to Christmas are some of my favorite in the entire church calendar. I always look forward to seeing the church decorated for Christmas and to hearing familiar carols and hymns. My favorite thing is the Advent wreath and the ritual of lighting it every week in anticipation of Christmas and of Christ's second coming. The act of anticipation is one that I enjoy taking part in even though I know that it always ends in Christmas. It is nice to take time out of the usual busyness of the Christmas season and remember to focus on Christ and his birth.
The last church that we attended did not use the Advent wreath in their worship services. I loved when we were able to go to one of our parents' churches and have it done there since we normally missed it. Since we do our own services here in Germany, I felt that we should do the Advent wreath here. There is more than just the anticipation of Christmas for Brian and I this year - there is also the anticipation of going home for a few weeks! I found some readings and prayers to go along with the Advent wreath and we were able to find the supplies to make our own wreath. It sits in our house during the week, but on Sunday nights we share the anticipation with the others who attend our small church.
May you share in the wonder and anticipation of the Advent season!
No comments:
Post a Comment