Thursday, October 7, 2010

"M&M" Cookies

A couple of weeks ago, I was asked if I could make cookies for a snack after our church service on Sunday night.  Making something new is always a bit of a process here because I never know if I can get all the ingredients that I need here.  I ruled out all cookies with shortening in them because I haven't been able to find that yet.  We also haven't been successful at finding regular, old chocolate chips.  We find fancy things that might work, but without seeing them, I'm not really sure. 

I decided that M&M cookies might be a good option because I know you can get M&Ms here, except that they are very expensive.  After going to the smaller store closest to our house, we discovered that they don't carry M&Ms like the bigger store does.  Since we didn't have time to go to the bigger store, we opted to buy Smarties instead of M&Ms.  Most Americans reading this are probably wondering how on earth you can put Smarties into cookies because they are thinking of the sweetart type candies in the plastic wrapping that many of our teachers gave us so we would be "smart"er.  These are definitely not the type of Smarties that I put in my cookies!  Here, Smarties are almost exactly the same as M&Ms, except a little bit bigger, different colors, and a different chocolate flavor.  I might even be tempted to say that I like them better than M&Ms!  The McDonald's here has Smartie McFlurries instead of M&M ones. 

After getting all the stuff we needed, we made our "M&M" cookies and they were a big hit!  They were very yummy and almost looked like Easter cookies because the Smarties lightened in color when they were baked.  I will definitely be making "M&M" cookies again!


No comments: