The three of us weren't the healthiest bunch while she was here, but we managed to have fun anyway. I was on the last stages of a cold, Brian was right in the middle of a cold, and Becky was just starting to get a cold. We went through lots of Kleenex!
Becky navigated flights, trains, and the ferry to get to us and we were very happy to see her! We learned about how to tell future visitors the best way to get to us. :)
On Saturday, Becky and I made a trip to Pfaender since she had never been to Austria and we live so close. We took the train to Bregenz, Austria and then found our way to the cable car. Instead of taking the cable car, we decided we were going to hike up the mountain instead. This probably wasn't the greatest plan since we were both sniffling quite a bit, but we made it! There was a well-marked path, but it was a bit steeper than we expected. A few spots were a bit slippery because of some mud, but we made it all the way without too much complaining. :)
This is part of the trail.
Such a beautiful mountain to climb!
Once we made it to the top, we had a slightly chilly lunch of kaesespaetzle. I was proud that I could order our lunch all by myself! It took a few times of repeating it to the man before he understood was I was speaking in his language, but we got what we wanted and it was delicious! We then headed to the candy stand. :) This was our reward for climbing the whole mountain. I got lots of gummy things and Becky tried some of the chocolates too. We took a quick trip around the "zoo" while we were up there too.
Us at the top with the Austrian Alps in the background.
We took a slightly different route down that mountain that we hoped would bring us closer to the train station. It sort of did, but we still had to walk through part of the town. We saw some beautiful flowers going both up and down the mountain, but these were my favorite because they looked like mini orchids. Anyone know what they are?
Once we got to the train station, we had to buy our tickets from the counter because I couldn't figure out the Austrian ticket machine, so we ended up having to wait a little bit for our train. We took the opportunity to make sure we got some pictures of Becky that proved she was in Austria since she didn't get a stamp in her passport.
It's Becky in Austria! (Of course she's not covering the word "casino")
Becky and the Austrian flag in Austria.
Becky and the German flag.
Becky and the Swiss flag (but she's been there before).
On Sunday, the three of us took train to Lindau to explore the island city. We walked around the whole island and have a lovely sandwich lunch in the garden there. It was a beautiful day for some walking.
Becky and I on some lounge chairs that I thought were comfortable until I laid down on it.
Brian and I by the fountain in the park.
On Monday, Becky and I were very European and went to get groceries with bikes and backpacks. It was fun to go to the grocery store with someone who hadn't been there before and was still amazed by all the German stuff and not frustrated with it. :) We vegged for quite a bit of the day because we were both pretty sore from all the walking we had done the previous 2 days.
On Tuesday, we waited around the apartment until our boat shipment came in and then she helped to unpack some of it. It was so exciting to get all our stuff! We then headed to McDonald's to do Bible study on Skype with our friend Deb back in Michigan.
Tuesday night, Becky had to leave us because she had to take the last train trip back to Zurich since her flight left in the morning before the trains got there. It meant she had to sit at the airport for a while, but she made it all the way to Asia without any problems even if it did take a while.
It was so nice to have a friend here for a while and someone to speak English with! We can't wait to see her again at Christmas!
1 comment:
I feel so special - a whole blog dedicated to me! Thanks friend :-) Love you!
Post a Comment